Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Headed for Alliance--the shorter way
This morning Classic Racer team #6 should have been well on its way to Brookings, SD, thence to ND, back to SD, and Wyoming. Instead, we're looking at forecast headwinds of 25 and winds on the ground along the whole route gusting to 35, direct-ish to tomorrow's noon start of the shortened race course, at Alliance, Nebraska. We're disappointed to miss out on what would have doubtless been fabulous hospitality at those first four stops, and glorious high plains scenery, but remnants of a large low pressure area continue to blanket the whole upper midwest. So, we're looking at a bumpy five hour ride in marginal conditions, and thinking new thoughts on tomorrow's strategy. Airplanes are straggling out of IOW as I write, with promises to meet up in Alliance tonight. What fun. Eager to get airborne, even if it's less than ideal conditions. Got new territory to conquer. Onward, and especially, upward!